Do you need an editor?
You want to run your business. You don’t want to spend your time worrying about grammar and spelling. That’s my job.
Editors and proofreaders look for mistakes. Mistakes that would make customers question your commitment to quality. Mistakes that you don't want customers to spot – reprints are expensive but so is the cost to your reputation.
Why waste money on producing communications that don’t attract customers? A fresh pair of eyes can spot problems that you might miss, and offer a new perspective on your written materials.
Yes, proofreading is about correcting grammar, spelling and punctuation. But there’s more to it than that:
- Checking facts and contact details.
- Spotting typos.
- Making sure that words and visuals are aligned – for example, checking that the pictures and captions are in the right place.
- Correcting cross references, contents pages and indexes.
Sometimes text needs a bit more attention. This is where copy-editing comes in – it's the art of enhancing writing to make it as good as it can possibly be. Copy-editors will:
- add value by hacking back the excess words to reveal the meaning beneath
- rewrite the text to make it clearer and snappier
- ensure consistency of tone and voice
- provide advice on how to make your writing better
- develop style guides so that it’s easy to be accurate and consistent.
Editing and proofreading are skills that take years to master. Leave them to me – you’ve got other things to do.